Recently I found some time to knock out a few terrain projects, as a bit of a palette cleanser as I churn through my backlog of Death Guard stuff.
Up first are a pair of small resin scenic pieces from Armorcast. They’re industrial in design and could lend themselves to either a crisp, bold Infinity-themed paint job, or a crusty, rusty finish with lots of rust and weathering.
Clearly, I chose the latter.
Sidenote about Armorcast: I have a massive geek crush on Armorcast products, dating all the way back to my days in college working in a local game store. I was just dabbling in miniatures back then, and I remember being absolutely blown away by the stock of Armorcast terrain pieces — the quality, the variety … everything I saw was fairly bursting with potential, even in its unpainted state. Those eggshell-colored resin sculpts were just waiting to bring your tabletop battlefield to life.
Since then, I’ve made a habit to regularly scour ebay and various other swap sites in an effort to source more Armorcast stuff for my tabletop. That’s where these small pieces came from.
Anyway, these two small items were a joy to paint up. I really went to town on the weathering effects. I’m usually a bit too timid to try them on “regular” models, like figures or vehicles for my Warhammer 40k armies. So I try to go hog-wild on small one-off projects like this, where there’s no pressure to churn out something that needs to blend in with an existing army.
These pieces will make good scatter terrain, or even scenario objectives. Here I tried to convince myself that I could plop them down side-by-side to create a larger piece of industrial terrain, if needed. I think it’ll work!
This next piece is nothing more than a massive slab of open-cell styrofoam that I chopped up, greebled and then melted with some spray paint. I built this piece months ago after a particularly egregious game of 40k convinced me that I needed some BIG, LINE-OF-SIGHT BLOCKING TERRAIN on my battlefield. Like, huge. Hence this big ugly mother.
This got a super-fast paint job, followed by a splash of dark brown wash made from Future Floor Wax and some ink and pigments. It was my first time experimenting with handmade washes using Future, and it turned out OK — not great, but not abysmal. I’ll keep fiddling with the ratios and find something that suits me.
Yes, this terrain piece is huge. Big enough to hide a Tau Riptide, even.
As a bonus, here are a couple of close-up shots of the two guys I used for scale comparisons. They are both part of a painted Wasteman warband that I won in a raffle from ThunderChild Miniatures. (Thanks, Jason!)